In recent times, the importance of code review has been acknowledged for developing top-performing software. It is one of the best methods for preventing security flaws & defects from getting into production.
True to this aspect, the demand for effective code review tools has also shown an upward trend. In this post, we have listed some of the best code review tools for developers.
What Is the Code Review Process?
A code review process is a methodical approach to identifying potential security flaws and bugs in software code. It involves careful examination of the source code by one or more individuals with expertise in programming and software development.
Why Is Code Review Important?
There are several reasons why code review is essential for developers:
- Ensures quality of the codebase and prevents security flaws and defects at an early stage.
- Helps identify errors, potential vulnerabilities, and areas for improvement in the program.
- Makes sure that the code follows the best industry practices and coding standards.
- Helps in identifying and removing unnecessary deficiencies
- Aids in mentoring new programmers
- Helps build a knowledge base of common mistakes and loopholes.
How to Perform a Code Review?
There are various ways to review a code. Here is the summary of three major ways of code review:
- Peer Review: In this method, the code is reviewed by another developer who has expertise in the same programming language. The reviewer will go through the code line by line and identify any clerical or logical errors, potential vulnerabilities, or areas for improvement.
- Static Analysis: In this approach, special tools are used to analyze the source code for errors, without running the code. static analysis tools can be used to automate some of the tasks involved in code review, such as checking for compliance with coding standards.
- Dynamic Analysis: This method involves running the program and testing it against known inputs and outputs to see if there are any defects or errors. Dynamic analysis can be used to find flaws that cannot be detected by static analysis alone. Its more than just review and can be termed as a part of STLC (Software Testing Life Cycle).
What Is a Code Review Tool?
A code review tool is a software application that helps developers to streamline, integrate and automate the code review process. It includes a set of static analysis tools that can be used to automate the tasks involved in code review, such as checking for compliance with coding standards.
Why Should You Use Code Review Tools?
There are multiple advantages of using code review tools:
- Streamline the code review process by automating the tasks involved
- Makes it easier to integrate code review into the software development process
- Provides a way for developers to collaborate on code reviews
- Brings transparency and consistency to the entire code reviewing process
- Helps in optimizing the QA testing process
- Supports documentation of the entire code review process
Suggested Read: Best Free and Open Source Web Design Software
Common Features of Code Reviewing Tools
A few common features that you will find in top code review tools include:
- The ability to organize code reviews based on various attributes such as tags and pull requests.
- A notification system that alerts stakeholders when a change is done.
- A commenting system that allows stakeholders to provide comments and suggestions.
- The tool should be able to address both text and binary files.
- Support for various version control systems including Git, SVN and Mercurial.
10 Best Code Review Tools for Developers
- Azure DevOps
- Review Board
- SmartBear Collaborator
- Visual Expert
We have analyzed hundreds of code review tools and selected the best 10 out of them based on their specializations, pricing, ease of use and feature.
Gerrit is a web-based code review and collaboration tool for the Git version control system. It is written in Java and uses the Google Web Toolkit interface. Gerrit simplifies the code review process by allowing developers to submit changes to the code base, which can then be reviewed and discussed by other developers.
- Web-based interface
- Git repositories with access control
- Lightweight framework
- Google web ToolKit Interface
- Integrates with Git
- Supported by Eclipse
- Multiple plugin extension
Gerrit Pricing: Gerrit is a completely free and open-source java code review tool.
Gerrit Compatibility: Gerrit is an online code reviewer but can also be installed on CentOS, RedHat, Debian and Ubuntu systems.
Crucible is an online automated code review tool from Atlassian. It helps developers to streamline the code review process by establishing collaboration and transparent workflows. Crucible integrates with popular version control systems such as Git, Perforce, CVS and Mercurial.
- Real-time commenting and communication
- Jira integration
- Compliance and audit tool
- Threaded discussion
- Report and chart feature
- Live activity streams
- Automated workflow triggers
Crucible Pricing: Crucible provides a 30-day free trial. The premium version starts at ₹775 and allows up to 5 users.
Crucible Compatibility: Crucible is an online source code review tool that can be accessed on any system through a web browser.
GitHub is a popular code hosting and reviewing platform that allows developers to collaborate and optimize the entire code development. It allows the entire team to track, control, and follow up every step of the code review process with commit history and pull requests.
- Pull request to purpose change
- Side by side view of modified and previous code
- Version History timeline to track commits, pull requests, etc.
- Blame view option
- Status check and permission control
- Protected branches API
GitHub Pricing: GitHub offers both free plans and paid plans. The premium plan starts at ₹310 per user per month.
GitHub Compatibility: GitHub is a free online code review platform that can be used on any computer system.
Suggested Read: Open Source Mobile App Development Software
Azure DevOps is a cloud-based code review tool from Microsoft. It helps developers to share code, track work progress and collaborate with team members. Azure DevOps integrates with popular source control systems such as Git, Bitbucket and TFVC.
Azure DevOps Features:
- Unlimited cloud-hosted
- private Git repositories
- Advanced File Management
- Exploratory and manual testing tools
- Issue and bug tracking
- Work item management
Azure DevOps Pricing: Azure DevOps provides a free plan for individuals and teams of up to five members. The premium plan starts at ₹1200 per month for up to 10 users.
Azure DevOps Compatibility: Azure DevOps is an online android and java code review tool that can be accessed through the web.
Review Board is a popular tool to review codes, documents, pdfs and graphics. It is a popular choice among programmers as it allows them to expand up to thousands of reports of all types.
Review Board Features:
- Automated review
- Git repositories with access control
- Integration with all popular IDEs
- Multiple plugin extensions for added functionality
- Early builds and priority bug fixes
Review Board Pricing: It could be installed on the server completely free of cost. However, the cloud-based version requires a hosting plan which starts at ₹2250 per month for 10 users.
Compatibility: Users can either download and use Review Board on their PC for free or buy a hosting plan and use it online from any device.
Collaborator is one of the most comprehensive code review tools that helps developers streamline the code review process and improve code quality. It integrates with popular development tools such as Eclipse, Visual Studio, etc. and provides utmost flexibility to programmers.
SmartBear Collaborator Features:
- Electronic signature and detailed reporting capabilities
- 11+ SCM support
- Multiple Hosting Integration
- Threaded forum-like conversation with history tracking
- Custom workflows, checklist, and templates
- Version compares
- Automated reporting and Audit Trial
Collaborator Pricing: SmartBear Collaborator provides a free trial for 30 days. The premium plan for teams with up to 25 members cost ₹49530 per year.
Collaborator Compatibility: It’s an online code reviewer that could be used on any system through a web browser.
Visual Expert is a static code analyzer that helps developers review their code for potential security vulnerabilities, performance issues, and bugs. It supports popular programming languages like Java, C++, etc. Visual Expert also provides a report that details the findings of the analysis.
Visual Expert Features:
- Impact Analysis Tool
- CRUD operation reviewer
- PL/SQL code documentation
- Code Comparison Module
- Change effect validator
Visual Expert Pricing: It offers a Standalone license for ₹38,426.
Visual Expert Compatibility: Visual Expert is compatible with Windows 8 and Windows 10.
Suggested Read: Best Text Editors for Windows, Linux & Mac Coders
CodeScene is a multipurpose code analysis tool that integrated business, people, and code. It helps the engineering team to evaluate and prioritize the entire code to reduce technical debt ensuring the highest standard before delivery.
- Technical debt prioritization
- Fully automated analysis process
- Unlimited users
- Version control data
- Project life cycle tools
- Delivery risk detection and prediction
CodeScene Pricing: CodeScene’s standard plan starts at ₹1479 per month for active authors.
CodeScene Compatibility: CodeScene offers both cloud-based and on-premises tools for reviewing codes. CodeScene could be used on Windows, Mac, and all Linux distributions.
Rhodecode is a fast and efficient open-source code management system that provides developers with centralized control of all shared and distributed repos. It is extremely popular for its workflow automation, team collaboration, and permission management feature.
- Integrated management Interface
- Remote Repository Replication/Sync
- Powerful text search option
- Easy Access Control
- Visual Graphlog and Changelog
- Support for huge binary files
- Security vulnerability detection
Rhodecode Pricing: Rhodecode Community is a completely free and open source code review tool. Rhodecode Cloud costs around ₹622 per month per user.
Rhodecode Compatibility: RhodeCode could be accessed through a web browser from all systems. The on-premises version is compatible with Linux based systems.
Suggested Read: Best Free HTML Editor Online for Beginners to Practice Coding
Veracode is next-generation application security platform that offers an extremely powerful code reviewer module. Veracode is extremely popular among Fintech developers as it provides integrates multiple features focusing on the application’s security improvisation the production.
- Application composition analysis
- Static code analysis and review
- In-depth security report
- Application Control Audit
- Security standards compliance management
Veracode Pricing: Veracode has a custom pricing model depending on the requirements of users. Contact Techjockey team for detailed Pricing.
Veracode Compatibility: Veracode is a web-based application security platform that can be accessed from any system.
In a Nutshell
There are several code reviews tools available in the market, each with its own unique features and pricing model. The right tool for your organization will depend on your specific needs and budget. However, all the tools mentioned above are popular choices among developers and offer a range of powerful features to help improve the quality of your code.
Suggested Read: Best Free and Open Source Operating System Examples
- What are Common Code Review Approaches?
The most common code review approaches are manual review, peer review, and static code review using specialized tools.
- How to choose a code review tool?
Developers need to choose code review tools based on the type of the code, language of the code, hosting, requirement, number of team members, and budget of the project. RhodeCode and GitHub are most comprehensive code reviewing tools.
- Why do people use custom code review tools?
People use custom code review tools to have all of their code review tools in one place, while others find that certain tools are better suited for specific types of projects.
- How can you improve your code review process using tools?
Code review tool helps you save time by automating some of the review processes. It also improves the code review process by identifying potential errors and issues efficiently and improving communication among team members.
- What are the two purposes of code review?
The two main purposes of code review are to find errors and improve the quality of the code. Code review tools also save time and boost collaboration among team members.
- What is java code review tools?
Tools that can review codes written in java programming language are called Java code review tools. Gerrit, Collaborator and Visual Expert are some popular java code review tools.
- What is android code review tools?
Tools that can analyze android application codes are called android code review tools. DroidLink, FindBugs,and Checkstyle are some popular code review tools.
- What is source code review tools?
Source code review tools are used to evaluate the quality of source code. These tools help developers to identify potential errors and bugs, improve communication among team members, and save time.
- What is automated code review tools?
Automated code review tools are those tools which execute a set of preset rules and inputs to test a code. RhodeCode and Crucible are two automated code review tools.